Thursday, October 25, 2012

Weather

We have been blessed with pretty good weather ever since the Orecho winds passed June 29 and that week of 104 degrees passed.  That week of heat cost local farmers a lot of money on their corn yields.  The farmers that I have talked to think it took an easy 20 bushels off our corn yields or we might have record yields.

Still, many are within 10% of their APH and we all feel very blessed for that.  Just 25 miles away, all 4 directions and there is corn and bean fields that yielded in the 20's, just like much of the midwest.  Weather controls our business and puts all the risk into it.  Everything we do has to be in time with Nature.  I can plant a little earlier or a little later but the weather after that day I can't control.  I have to stage my crop to take the licks and the good weather.

Some private and public forecasters are calling this hurricane in the Atlantic Ocean the "perfect storm" for the East Coast.  I sure hope not but we know we can't control the weather.  I just saw Loran Steinlage's Oh No, this can't be good picture on Facebook and Darren Hefty's snow picture from South Dakota.  That strong storm meeting those hurricane winds are going to do something, somewhere, that's for sure.

Lowe's had blueberry plants on sale for $2.50 each and we had a $100 credit so LuAnn bought them.  It's late but we are going to take a chance on them for that price.  I called the neighbor boys from the field and had them dig 50 holes for the plants.  We figure if half of them live, we got a good deal and Lowe's are out of that batch of plants they owned.  It's a variety called Brigitta, I will have to look that one up.  I don't know much about blueberry plants but I know they need well drained acid soil which we have near the hog barn. 

It gets a little too wet there sometimes but no worse than anywhere else.  If I had known, I could have Jack run me a tile line through the middle of it to get the excess water out of the subsoil because the ground drops 10 feet right on the other side of the hog barn.

Well that's it for today.  I better get back to the combine so the guys can eat their dinner.

Ed

4 comments:

  1. Well you said "hog" farm, not "bog", so it's probably not acid enough, spread some peat! ;)

    Ah well, cultivated plants from Australia probably don't need as much acidity as the blueberries from Canada.

    Kudos to LuAnn for getting the blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Lowe's buy these plants from Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the Brigitta variety was bred in Australia from your link, but maybe I mixed up with another variety. What matters is if they grow well and plentiful in your garden.

    I suppose blueberries went through many and long artificial selection steps, as the wild blueberry is totally different, with a dark purple juice inside.

    I remember I brought my mother to the Basque mountains one year when she had her broken leg. Dropped her with buckets over the Artigascou Pass full of blueberry bushes, went counting the migratory buzzards for the local bird society, and when I came back, found her at almost the same place, with 3 bucketfulls of blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is quite a story! 3 bucketfulls of blueberries is a whole bunch of picking!

    I notice so much difference in size and taste every day at the grocery I shop at. Some are big and sweet from one region and in the same case will be a batch of smaller tart berries.

    I need to scatter a box of cedar blocks around the plants to start the decaying of the cedar blocks and the acidification of the soil below.

    ReplyDelete